Brushy Mountain Ridin’

Post Jersey Boy, I was in bed at a decent hour, but something wasn’t sitting well. I got progressively more nauseous as I laid there trying to fall asleep. I’ve been thinking for a while now that sweeter white wines don’t agree with me.

My dad and I selected a bottle of Pinot Grigio at dinner that I didn’t think would be very sweet. After a few sips, we realized it was sweeter than a typical Pinot. However, after a long week and a tough race in the morning, I didn’t care (despite in the back of my mind thinking “I don’t think this is a good idea”). I was in the mood for a cocktail or two with my dinner so I drank my 2 glasses happily. 🙂

Bad move.

I ended up being sick from about 11:30 till 12:45. After chugging some water, I was able to fall asleep pretty quickly thereafter out of sheer exhaustion. Not having to leave till 8:15 or so the next day to ride, I still got a decent amount of sleep, but was worried about being dehydrated.

We drove about 45 minuets from Cool Breeze in Mooresville to Brushy and were on our bikes by 10am. It was a cold morning, but sunny which made the cold totally bearable. There were about 10 people which is the perfect amount for a mountain ride. Enough to share the work, enough “skill levels” but not too many that you’re forever waiting on everyone to circle up.

I rode okay. I wouldn’t call it strong, but I wouldn’t call it terrible. I’m not sure if “reason” was Saturday’s 12 mile run, if I was more dehydrated from being sick than I realized, if I’m just not mountain-riding-fit right now, or just not all that “bike-fit”? Regardless, I stuck out the whole ride (a few people decided to turn back after 2 of the 3 planned climbs). Mountain riding is tough to do in a group, for me at least, as I kinda just gotta go at my own pace. Sometimes that’s a bit faster, sometimes its really slow. What I feel good about is the progress I’ve made on my descending. We did one of the descents twice on a road that was really smooth with modest corners. It was so fun to barrel down with little to no brakes, especially the 2nd time!

Nonetheless, the ride still really fun. The group is a blast and its awesome that everyone is there to have a good time, but also work really hard. The guys are riding like CHAMPS. We shared lots of laughs and all came home stronger riders than we left….just what it’s all about.

Since I’d be driving right by Em and Scott’s on my way from Mooresville, I just had to stop by and see this little guy (and his mommy and daddy of course). He didn’t seem to mind that I was quite sweaty, though is mom and dad might have a different opnion!

Little Brax is 6 weeks old and growing up so fast. I’ve seen him 6 times since he was born and he changes so much every time. He gets cuter and cuter by the day! Look for peanut on the tri scene this summer rocking these gems.

Aunt Kim Loves you Brax!

I attempted a yoga class for recovery this morning, made it through the first of two sequences before I succumb to childs’ pose, pigeon, happy baby and several other stretches before conking out in Savasana. I am SPENT! Tanner’s class at Y2 post ass-kicker of a weekend is likely not the best recovery, but I couldn’t resist 🙂 Still felt better when it was all done, though I thought I might die mid-way through!

Hope everyone had a great weekend of training and has a great week ahead.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: