You might be wondering where on earth I have been.  I kind of am too.  It’s been a whirlwind of a weekend and early start to this week, and unfortunately I’m struggling.  Rewind to last Friday.  My friend Emily and I departed bright and early at 7am to Nashville, TN to celebrate our friend Shannon’s Bachelorette weekend.  The long and the short of it is:  I just can’t party anymore.

We arrived about 1:30 on Friday and immediately headed to a nearby lunch spot / bar to sit outside and enjoy some food, catching up with everyone, waiting on stragglers to arrive, and of course, the cocktails started flowing…rapidly.


By about 6pm, we were still at our nearby “lunch” spot, which eventually turned into an early dinner spot before heading back to the hotel to get ready for the evening.

The cocktails continued to flow and were going down very nicely over tons of laughs with the girls.  We showered up and hit the town later than planned, and made our way to the highly anticipated Wild Horse Saloon for some line dancing and fun.


The music at Wild Horse was great, the company was great, and I was feeling (probably a little too) great!  At some point, we decided to leave Wild Horse in search of something, er, I’m not really sure.  After about 2 hours of bar hopping, myself and a few of the other girls decided to turn it in about 1am.  We cabbed it back to our hotel and I was asleep in an instant.  First night in Nashville, success (despite the 1:30am and 2:30am “wake up calls” from my roomies who had decided to stay out a bit longer).

We got up at around 7am Saturday morning, partially because I just can’t sleep after drinking, partially because I just can’t sleep in very well at all, and partially because we had a 9am tour planned with the group.  I was feeling pretty rough, but showered and managed to feel ok throughout the day…just exhausted.  The 4 hour bus tour was fun, but a little hard to handle at 9am after about 4 hours of sleep.  We got to see lots of famous singers houses (Dolly Parton, Martina McBride, Tim and Faith’s current and previous house who is now lived in by Matt Hasselbeck, Alan Jackson, and a few more I think I’m forgetting).  All in all, as a country music fan, it was fun to see all the huge mansions and just something different to do so I enjoyed it.  We got back to the hotel around lunch time and my roomies and I all opted to skip lunch and grab a nap.  Thank goodness.  I think I fell asleep in about 5 seconds, and slept a solid 90 minutes.

As soon as I woke up I knew I had to get some sort of exercise in –despite really not feeling “rested” at all.  I decided to just run for 90 minutes.  Given my general lack of motivation, my slight hangover, the heat, and the hills that I never knew were in downtown Nashville, I suffered like a DOG.  I was beyond glad to be done.  I got in a good stretch and some weights in the fitness center after my run, and then scurried up to shower just as Kristen was asking “at what point should we be worried about Kim”.   Good timing.

The “official bachelorette / shower” was on Saturday starting about 5:30.

Of course, the drinks started flowing again.  We had 8pm dinner reservations at a super nice place called Sambuca, which ended up being my favorite part of the whole weekend.  The band that played during dinner was absolutely wonderful, the food was delicious, and it was nice to be sitting and talking to everyone and not out and having to yell.  After a long dinner, we ventured to Tootsies, the other place in Nashville that’s a “must visit” for tourists.  The place was absolutely packed.  Think of the most packed place you’ve ever been and add 100 people.  The group ended up getting split up upon entering Tootsies due to the inability to move 1”.  Luck was in our favor and my 3 good friends and I ended grabbing some bar stools right near the band and stayed parked there most of the night.  It was the ideal spot for people watching and rocking out to the band – who was great, but not what I would have expected in Nashville.  They played such a range of music from Taylor Swift to Freebird to Lady Gaga.  We ended up having a blast with the 4 of us and enjoyed spectating a true rendition of “Bachellorette Gone Wild”.  All we could say was “that girl definitely shouldn’t be getting married; her poor fiance”.  Without going into too much detail, let’s just say her skirt was no more than 3” long, she was not wearing underwear, and she was on stage.  A true gentleman’s delight.

 We turned it in after 2:30 on Saturday and again were up entirely too early for a bedtime of that nature.  Emily and I had a long drive ahead of us and we were both anxious to get home.  We were on the road just a little after 10:30 and the ride home ended up taking a bit longer due to a little traffic and several stops.  So I come home from Nashville having had a great time with my friends.  But that’s about where the “good” stuff ends.  I’m utterly exhausted.  I was literally in bed at 5:30 on Sunday night and asleep in the early 6pm hour.  I slept till after 7:45 and still felt awful all day yesterday.  Unfortunately, when I don’t get good sleep, my head pounds.  I felt like I drink a liter of vodka on Sunday night all day Monday.  Given my exhaustion, my “must get back on the horse” training-wise on Monday, turned in to yet my 3rd rest day in 4 days.  Not good.  I had plans to swim in the morning, spin my legs at night, take a walk, do something but none of it ended up happening.  I was again in bed at a ridiculously early hour in the 8pm range on Monday night and was asleep in an instant.  However, my dogs decided they didn’t like a man walking down the street at about 11:45 and barked like wild dogs.  I was up.

The stress of upcoming races, how exhausted I really am, the fact that I have NO (I repeat, NO) food in my house and had the smallest dinner on earth which did not suffice and my tummy ended up growling all night, on top of other general life stresses, ended up being a recipe for disaster.  I was up until after 3:30.  With a 5:30 alarm scheduled to meet a group to swim, I was so annoyed.  I opted to cancel with the group, re-set my alarm for a later hour and swim on my own in favor of some rest….which still wasn’t enough.

 So that leaves me at today, Tuesday, still utterly exhausted from my trip and feeling fat, out of shape, stressed and unprepared for some big upcoming races and in dire need of some sleep.  I pray my dogs are quite tonight and I can get a solid 8-9 hours of sleep.  I cannot go another day with my head in the clouds.  But it’s what we do for our friends and I wouldn’t trade the fun times this weekend for the world.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: